Wednesday, January 8, 2014

My Navy Career. Day 8

Today's challenge is to talk about my career and it's timeline.

This is kind of a frustrating subject for me.

I always wanted to join the military. So I did, after getting married that is. When I joined I wanted one position and an uncle of mine went out of his way to do what he could to help me get it. When the opportunity came to take advantage of that connection the overwhelming intimidation of the first few days of boot camp caused me to be caught in confusion and miss the opportunity. I immediately felt bad that people who tried to help, had been let down by me. So in the end I was stuck with the job I had been given.

Off to Pensacola I went, which at the time, I didn't know would be a 2 year adventure. But it was however and I in fact spent a full 2 years training to do my job.

Then off to the fleet I went and for almost a year I actually got to work in the field I was trained... Only for it to be abruptly interrupted during my first deployment. I went home, and while I was home it was discovered that I have some medical issues that have effectively put an end to my military career. So since August of last year, I have been working as a Navy Paralegal here in San Diego, waiting for separation.

So how do I feel about my career? Honestly, I feel like I've spent 4 years in the service and don't really have anything to show for it. I guess it's my fault, but I dunno.

It frustrates me that there are people on my old ship that seem discontent with me... like my situation leaving the ship was an easy out. I guess "frustration" isn't really what I feel. It makes me sad, because at the time I didn't want to go home. My LT asked me on a regular basis if I needed to go home and I just as regularly said "No". Whatever.

So now, as I've mentioned before; I'm facing the indefinite but inevitable window of knowing I have to leave this job and start over. Start a new career, and/or school. With a wife and two kids it's overwhelming to try and jump off this hypothetical cliff into finding a job, a house, a way to provide for them when all I've known in that regard is the Navy life.

I'm not going to be negative and ho-hum about what could have been done differently, or what I'm disappointed about. Truth is, it all has happened as it has, and beating myself up about it won't change anything.

I'm just trying my best to keep my feet under me and land solid after I DO have to jump. 

1 comment:

  1. And remember that you aren't alone in this, and that others have done this successfully. I know that doesn't remove the responsibility you rightly feel, but it should help you feel more confident about making a choice.

    ReplyDelete