Sunday, January 12, 2014

Day 11 "Greetings Mortal, Are you ready to die?"

Memento Mori - "Remember that you will die"

Today's challenge was to write about death. Which is an interesting subject for me. Because I've never been afraid of it. I don't mean to say that with any type of bravado, but I've never really worried about it. In fact, I've always kind of.... just been waiting for it. I'm not even talking about a depressed "I want to die" way of thinking, but literally I've always thought dying was a nice idea. Or, as my brother coined for me; a "welcome companion".

I supposed that my lack of fear comes from my strength of faith in the idea of the life after this. I believe firmly in the life after this being much better; that all the things I would have missed in this life due to death (whenever it may be) will be restored to me. So I've always felt that this life really wasn't as important as people make it to be. Wait. That doesn't sound right. Let me rephrase. The people who are afraid of death, hold importance on the things that don't matter in this life. They fear the loss of things they think matter. Not what truly does.

You may be thinking the reason that you don't want to leave this life is because of the relationships you have with your family and loved ones...

Whether you believe in a hereafter or not, neither should instill fear in you.

If you believe in a life after this, then you know that you'll be happy and have those relationships. Or, if you don't believe in an afterlife, it shouldn't strike a chord with you either. As Mark Twain put it:

“I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”

So, if you're dead, and there is nothing after this, then you won't feel anything.

Luckily I do believe in a place better than this. Free of pain. Free of stress. Free of darkness.

So I'm not looking forward for my ticket to get out of here, but when the day comes I won't be kicking and screaming to stay. I'll at least make it beneficial to others by taking out a decent life insurance policy.

Haha.


No comments:

Post a Comment