Thursday, January 2, 2014

Day 2 of 31

Well it's day two, and I didn't forget. 

Today's challenge is short but is probably going to be way harder than it sounds. The challenge is based off of something Ernest "Papa" Hemingway had reportedly done while was alive. Hemingway apparently claimed that he could write a full story, using only 6 words. His fellow writers who were dining with him pitched into a pot; ten dollars each. He then quickly scribbled down 6 words.

"For sale, Baby Shoes, Never Worn."

So he had done it. A single sentence containing a beginning, middle and end. Or so the story says. I looked it up on Snopes and they haven't verified the story yet. But regardless, it doesn't discredit the amazing ability of Ernest Hemingway.

Any modern writer should know about Hemingway, and if you don't, you owe it to yourself to. He spent time in the Spanish-American war was well as both world wars. He was a writer that floated from being a reporter, novelist, and journalist,(among other jobs) but, the work he did has influenced writers ever since (whether they realize it or not). His writing style is greatly reflected in most authors today.

If you want to pick up a book by him I would suggest one of two, either "For Whom The Bell Tolls" or "The Old Man and The Sea".

Seriously. Look into his work. This guy got a Nobel Price for his writing in 1954. And this was back in the days when people got them for actually doing something. Not like some folks of recent who won't be named because I insist on being free of politics on this blog.

But anyway.... ugh. My life? Six words?

"Remembering regrets; living for the future."

Heh.... Thats the best I got. I thought that maybe,

"Cursed with demons, blessed with family"

I dunno. Either or. There it is, 6 words. I did it twice just for good measure. Anyway

DAY 2: CHECK!


1 comment:

  1. I think you really have a nack for writing. Good job. :-)

    ReplyDelete